8/11/2014

The Cork Diaries: Part 2 a.k.a. In Ireland Drugs Go Cheap

After the trip to the Cliffs, I noticed that my already a bit sore throat got much worse. I could barely swallow food, and I had a bit of a pain in my ears as well, no doubt due to the eternally windy Irish weather that I as a Southie was not used to.

So I went to the nearest pharmacy and got myself these kick-ass throat pills with ‘’anesthetic to quickly numb the throat pain and antibiotic to help fight throat infection’’ end quote. I took one and lo – not only I didn’t feel any pain in my throat after less than a minute, but my tongue felt a little… heavy. Turns out the pills had enough numbing agent to numb a small pony! This would definitely not be sold as an over-the-counter drug in Slovenia. Also, I could not believe that I had to pay only 3.45 euros for 24 throat lozenges. It was a friggin bargain! I wish I had bought more!

That’s when I got an ingenious idea. Since the meds are so cheap in Ireland, I was going to get a bunch of them and take them home, it shouldn’t be a problem, since both Ireland and Slovenia are in the EU. So I got two packets of these things called Lemsip, which is an equivalent of the Slovene Lekadol - turns out they were 30% cheaper! Then, when my cold turned for a bit worse, I also got myself 1000 mg Vitamin C pills, again, not available in Slovenia, as the Vitamin C pills in Slovenia have the sissy dosage of 200 mg of Vitamin C! So, it was definitely a good purchaseJ

The only thing that I really really missed while having a cold in Ireland, was a steamy hot shower. Turns out that up North, they don’t really take showers with hot water up from 38 degrees Celsius like we do in the South. I was bitterly disappointed since having a nice hot shower would be a perfect thing after the cold Atlantic wind almost blowing me off the Cliffs. Instead, I ended up having shower with the temperature of the water at pathetic 28 degrees, maybe even less, almost wishing I had brought a sweater to the shower. I mean, what the hell, paddies, can’t you take a decent shower with boiling hot water, like we do in the South? I know it would be tough at first, but it would harden your spirit. I dare you, descendants of bad-ass Vikings and Celts!

Putting the topic of drugs aside – I met two really interesting Slovene guys while in Cork, which is a miracle by itself since Slovenia is so small, there’s only two millions of us. Anyway, they guys were jugglers, actual jugglers, and the members of the International Jugglers Association (yes, there is such a thing). They were so sweet and even tried to teach me how to juggle (the operative word being ‘tried’). We ended up hanging out, having lunch at O’Flynn’s Gourmet Sausages – they were pretty good, I have to say. It was really interesting from the observers’ point of view to see how the guys were making money as street artists, how they chose a venue, approached the people, working their charm on them. I learned a lotJ
(My sausage sandwich:))
After saying goodbye to them, I went shopping and treated myself to a bit of retail therapy, I bought this incredible lip balm and a gorgeous moisturizing hand cream from the label called Lanolips. I swear, this thing is the best for dry skin! I am so pleased with it.

I also discovered a cute little boutique called Brocade& Lime where I found the cutest replica dresses in 1950s style with the most amazing prints, like lollipops and ice-cream and tiny ships, OMG were they beautiful! If you’re a vintage enthusiast and you’re in Cork, go to Brocade & Lime!


 Also, one of my favorite places to shop in Cork was actually the English Market. I really like grocery shopping:)
A few more photos from the streets of Cork:

Hope you enjoyed this post,

Love,

Teja xoxo

Follow me on:

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I love them:)