11/25/2014

Cake pops!

This Sunday was the first time I have ever made cake pops and I was really looking forward to that. I bought all the ingredients, I was super excited about buying the sugary decorations and chocolate melts for the icing, imagining what perfect little pops of pleasure they are going to be in less than 24 hours. The next morning, I nearly jumped out of bed, I swear I was like a kid on Christmas morning, I scurried into the kitchen, waited for my friend to come and help me start baking.

I used this recipe, but with my own twist – Nutella instead of cream cheese and amaretto for that extra oomph, it blends perfectly with rich chocolaty Nutella flavor. The entire process went pretty smoothly until the highly anticipated decoration part came.

I am taking a deep breath here, because it’s kind of hard for me to admit that I may have set my standards a bit too high. I mean, let’s be honest, when you’re doing something for the first time, may it be playing basketball or dancing ballet… or making cakepops, for that matter, the odds are that you’re not going to do everything perfectly.

And that’s why I’ve decided to write this post, because I really want to warn all the overzealous cake pop fist timers out there – you really need to take your time. Not like an hour. Not like two, it’s more like three. And a half.

For the first time, that’s a realistic guestimation. Firstly, the entire dough making process took literally forever, you have to wait for the cake to cool down, then you have to crumble it and make an even mass of dough. Then you roll the dough into balls, insert the lollipop sticks into them and again set them aside to cool down, because they need to harden a bit, so they don’t fall off the sticks. The process of forming perfect little balls of dough is pretty tough, since they can be neither to big not too small, but it’s the decorating part that really tires you down.

And this is what happened next: I burnt the dark chocolate icing and curdled the white chocolate icing by accident because, guess what, white chocolate has a lower melting point that dark chocolate. Which would be totally cool to know beforehand. So, in the end, we basically ended up with no icing at all.


But luckily we had Dr. Oetker’s ‘’Zuckerschrift,’’ a kind of a sugary glaze that we cleverly used to decorate our cake pops with swirls, to cover up the fact that there is no icing. However, with a little help from this glaze, some sprinkles and sugary decorations, our cake pops looked good enough to eat – and tasted amazing, so even though the process took a bit longer than I had anticipated, I was really pleased with them. But next time, I am using another method – I am just going to pour the batter into models, and save my time and energyJ
What's your cake pop story? Share it on my blog!

Love,

Tejaxoxo

2 comments :

  1. Just found your blog, it's absolutely divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support, Maria:) I am glad you enjoy reading my blog;)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. I love them:)